Mohd Fakhruddin’s father prompted him to consider a career in the maritime industry. His father is a Marine Technology lecturer at a university in Malaysia, and encouraged him to look at maritime engineering for a rewarding and fulfilling career in a thriving industry.

‘I was awarded a scholarship by Malaysian International Shipping Corporation (MISC) to pursue my study abroad. The company suggested that I apply to the University of Tasmania’s Australian Maritime College (AMC) because of the high-calibre maritime engineering training on offer.’

‘I found Launceston to be an ideal place to study. I believe that living on campus meant that it was even easier for me to access university facilities when I needed them. In my final year of the Bachelor of Engineering (Marine and Offshore Engineering) (Honours) I spent long hours in the computer labs and testing models in the towing tank, so it came in very handy.’

As a current marine engineer for TL Offshore/SapuraKencana Petroleum in Malaysia Mohd Fakhruddin’s role requires him to perform critical calculations, using computational packages such as MOSES and SACS, for the installation and transportation of offshore structures, which must comply with operational standards.

The company provides a full range of construction and engineering services required for the oil and gas industry, from detailed engineering design to construction. They also focus on the fabrication, building and upgrading of rigs, vessels, jackets, topsides and other facilities. Engineering works include initial conceptualisations, process simulations, studies, development and analysis to optimise solutions, computer run-throughs and 3-dimensional modelling, as well as multi-discipline detailed engineering designs.

‘I enjoy the diversity of my role. Not only do I get to do computer simulations and calculations, I also have the opportunity to gain site experience while working offshore with field engineers. Dealing with clients such as Shell, Exxon, Petronas and Petrofac, has taught me the importance of critical thinking on the job, as decisions can have far-reaching effects.’

The engineering skills he gained at the AMC have proven very useful in his current career, especially the subjects related to hydrodynamics and offshore operation.

‘The AMC not only provides its students with a high-calibre education in the classroom, we also got practical maritime engineering experience during an offshore trip on the institute’s training vessel MV Bluefin.’ AMC’s good relationship with the maritime industry also provided him with the opportunity to meet the potential employers and hear first-hand stories at the annual Careers and Employment Fair.

‘I would certainly recommend studying at the University of Tasmania.’ AMC provides a world class maritime engineering education and its graduates are in high demand by oil and gas companies as the industry knows they will be well-trained and competent.