When I look across at the Derwent River flowing into Hobart I am often reminded of my home country. I am from the Igala tribe in Kogi State in Nigeria. It is surrounded by beautiful mountains just like Hobart.

My decision to study and research through the Master of Pharmaceutical Science was inspired by the millions of Nigerians who have been victims of a relentless plague of counterfeit drugs, drug misuse, adverse drug reactions and increased drug resistance that has affected the health sector in my country.

I was lucky enough to receive an AusAID scholarship to assist me with my education so I hunted for an appropriate Australian university online.  I soon realised that Tasmania and the university here fitted the bill.

Academically, I was encouraged by the fact the School of Pharmacy at the University of Tasmania (UTAS) is one of the best in Australia and boasts an incredibly multicultural faculty. To me that was like being given a global perspective on my studies. I have learnt a whole range of international trends in pharmaceutical sciences from experts from all over the world, and I have not been disappointed.

The University of Tasmania has exceeded my expectations in many ways. Everyone is really friendly. The lecturers are very helpful and listen to what you have to say. The international advisors at the Student Centre are also very nice and have helped me establish a Learning Access Plan.

I am involved with the Community Friends & Network Program. It is a good place to meet new people. We also get to learn a lot about Australia from locals, so it is a really fun and educative experience.

Hobart is really beautiful and there are plenty of places to go and things to do so you will be kept busy. I can even get the kind of food I need from the local multicultural stores, so there has never been any need for me to feel homesick.

I now am considering undertaking my PhD. I would like to impart my knowledge to other people and having a PhD will help me do that.

My message to students is that if they want a quality education they will definitely get it at UTAS. It is not just a local university it is an international university. You can get knowledge from people from different parts of the world and experience new things that you would not find in your home country.

Don’t be scared of anything, just come. It’s a chance to develop yourself in ways you have never imagined and there is always someone to guide you along the way.