My name is Ida-Sophie and I chose the University of Tasmania for different reasons. First of all I wanted a challenge, and Tasmania is really far away from Denmark. I wanted to take specialist subjects in sports journalism, environmental history, and environmental journalism. The University of Tasmania allows me to do that. I couldn’t do this in Denmark.

The best thing about the University is that it combines theory and practice really well. We do case studies, and we go out into the field. It’s a great way to apply the theory you learn in a practical setting.

The courses I’m doing I find really interesting because they’re not what I’m used to. We went out to report on a football game and I’ve never seen an Australian footy game before so that’s been a fascinating experience.

Studying at the University helps me in different ways. It’s a great experience going abroad, it helps with learning to be more independent. It’s a great way of doing some networking. It’s a really big plus on your resume when you can say you’ve studied abroad at a University like Tasmania.

I really like to be active. I am a kettle weight trainer in Denmark and I do that here too at the university’s gym. It’s a great facility. I’m making use of the time I have here. I’ve just learned how to surf. I’ve started rock climbing with the Tasmanian Climbing Club. I also really like bushwalking here. I really like getting out every weekend and doing different things. I like being in Hobart because there’s a lot of people who share my interests.

Do you want to reveal the latest developments in science, sport or health or produce documentaries for screen and radio? Study then Journalism, Media and Communication at the University of Tasmania.