Olasupo Owoeye chose the University of Tasmania for his PhD in law because of its growing reputation as a leading international university and the research expertise of the Law School in his area of interest.

I want to be a voice for the voiceless and defend vulnerable populations from all over the world.  In my PhD research I have focussed on the African continent and the issue of access to medical products that are patented.  I wanted to look at how international legal frameworks can be modified to facilitate access to such products in countries where the average person cannot afford them.

When I saw a wonderful article on that topic from academics from the University of Tasmania law school I got in touch with them.  They were interested in my proposal and taking me on as a PhD candidate.

The University’s law school offers a very supportive academic and learning environment that is unsurpassed and studying here has been a wonderful, life changing experience.

The international student community is very vibrant here.  You are learning at an institution that actually offers you the best of everything.  You have access to everything you need, the research facilities are wonderful, the environment is very supportive and the people are open and friendly.  The place is awesome.

A degree from The University of Tasmania opens up a world of possibilities.  I have actually been offered academic positions from all over the world; Asia, Africa and Europe.  I firmly believe that having a qualification from here offers boundless opportunities.

If researching law at PhD level interests you, you can obtain more information here. You might instead be interested in our Bachelor of Laws degree.  If you’re already qualified and would like professional accreditation to practice in Australia, you should investigate a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice.