I chose to come to the University of Tasmania because of the lovely nature of the State itself and because of the University’s reputation and its reasonably priced tuition fees. I have not regretted my decision.

I am from Ho Chi Minh City. It is the biggest city in Vietnam and has about 8 million people. After completing a year of study at one of the top business universities there, I realised that I needed to study abroad to improve my English, appreciate other cultures and stand out from the crowd.

Being in Tasmania has totally lived up to my expectations – the living expenses are reasonable and, on campus, there are lots of services to assist me with my studies.

I am thoroughly enjoying campus life and have had the opportunity to be involved with heaps of activities since I arrived. I volunteer for the Student Ambassador Program, taking tours of the campus and helping out on Open Days when required.

I am also a part of the Community Friends Network Program’s Human Library, where I get the chance to talk to people in local schools and aged care homes about my country and my culture. This has emphasised to me the importance of diversity.  It makes everything more interesting if you can learn to embrace other cultures. It’s not until I started talking to people about my country that I realised that there was so much to talk about. It makes me feel proud to be Vietnamese.

I am the PASS leader for Accounting and Financial Decision Making. It is a compulsory business unit, so I get the chance to help a lot of people. Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) provide peer-led study groups for more than 50 units across UTAS and on-line. PASS leaders are current students who have successfully completed the unit and who have been trained to make sure that students gain the most out of the session. I enjoy helping other students to better understand course content. It helps me with my studies as well.

As well as PASS, I was lucky enough to find a part-time job at a local restaurant. Part-time jobs are very important resume builders and will help me to stand out from the crowd.

I like living in Tasmania and I would definitely recommend the State and the University of Tasmania to other international students. It is a good place to study, with not too many distractions but still plenty to do in your spare time.

My advice to future students would be to work on improving their English as best as they can. Higher IELTS scores will help you study better, communicate better and enjoy the Tasmanian lifestyle to the fullest.

• Francois

Hi,
    I am a student at UTAS studying International Studies with the main focus on East Asia. I hope to travel to Vietnam later this year or next year as part of my studies. It would be great to talk to any Vietnamese students about traveling and studying in Vietnam, especially in HCM city.
    Thanks.
    Francois
    fr@utas.edu.au