“Having a smaller cohort also means that you can establish a closer relationship with your peers. A good support network is vital when you are studying medicine.”

This is the story of Mohd Amir Aiman Mustaffa Kamal, who came from Malaysia to study Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery at the University of Tasmania.

“When I finished high school I wasn’t sure what I wanted to study. None of my family is in medicine, but I had always loved science and biology so my friends suggest I should seriously consider it. Now I think it suits me.

“I did my Year 12 in Malaysia at a place called Taylor’s College, which has its own university placement centre. They helped me out with everything I needed during the application process.

“I was lucky enough to receive a scholarship from the Malaysian Government that meant that I could choose to study at any Australian university, and I seriously looked at all of them. But it was an offer from the University of Tasmania that intrigued me the most. The only knowledge I had of Tasmania was of the Tasmanian Devil cartoon character on television, so it peaked my interest.

“It took me a few months to get myself used to the smaller setting because I came straight from fast-paced Kuala Lumpur, but it has definitely lived up to my expectations. I am really enjoying it and Tasmania is a great place to study.

“I have done a lot of travelling around the state since I have been here – I love it. I have taken up bushwalking and have a map in my house on which I mark off places that I have been. Walking to Cape Raoul in the far south-east of Tasmania was an amazing experience. I also enjoy playing sports and hang out with my friends in my spare time.

I would definitely recommend studying at UTAS to other international students, especially those considering a career in medicine. The calibre of teaching is very good and our cohort is relatively small compared to what you might find at other universities. As a result, we get a lot more attention and opportunities for hands-on experience and patient interaction.

“Having a smaller cohort also means that you can establish a closer relationship with your peers. A good support network is vital when you are studying medicine. The Launceston Clinical School moved to a new site at the Launceston General Hospital last year so the facilities are very up-to-date.

“I am keeping my options open as to what field of medicine I would like to specialise in – paediatrics, accident and emergency; or surgery are all on the list. My next challenge is to put in an application for an internship; I’ll concentrate on that before I really decide.

“My advice to other international students would be to make the most of your stay here. Enjoy the environment and get involved with the local community. The people are interesting and there are plenty of beautiful places to see.”

If you’d like to study Medicine at the University of Tasmania and not only enjoy our world-class facilities in the Medical Science Precinct but also the incredible lifestyle on offer in Tasmania, find out more about our medical degree and other Health courses.