Haonan (Jennifer) Kang studied a Bachelor of Nursing at the University of Tasmania and graduated in 2011. Today, she is employed in disability support at Eskleigh Nursing Home in the picturesque town of Perth in the midlands of Tasmania. The Explorer met with Jennifer to chat with her about her time at UTAS and her current work experience.

“I decided to undertake my nursing studies in Tasmania because of the University of Tasmania’s affordable tuition fees. I chose the units and subjects that I believed would offer me the greatest opportunities in my future career. The fantastic facilities in the School of Nursing and Midwifery in Launceston, as well as the wonderful lecturers and tutors, were among the many highlights of my time at the University of Tasmania.

I currently work for Eskleigh Nursing Home at Perth in Tasmania as a support worker for a disabled patient in a home environment.

My studies at the University of Tasmania definitely helped to prepare me for my career.  Every semester there was at least one placement in a real working environment. The Acute Practice unit in the third year of my degree was one of my favourite subjects. It gave me hands-on experience in real settings with real patients and families and also required me to deal with a variety of health professionals.

My advice to future students at the University of Tasmania is to never be afraid to ask questions, and always remember to learn from your mistakes.

Tasmania is a marvellous place to live and study. The cost of living is reasonable and there are plenty of things to do and see – local vineyards, natural landscapes, friendly people and amazing weekend markets. I’ve loved living here and making new friends. No matter how long you choose to stay here, Tasmania will provide you with memories that will last forever.”

The University of Tasmania offers two undergraduate degrees in nursing – a three-year Bachelor of Nursing in Launceston and a fast-track, two-year Bachelor of Nursing (Fast-Track), based in Hobart. Enquire now and enjoy a rewarding career that can take you around the world.