When secondary school teacher and aspiring museum curator Janice Peh decided to pursue her dream to study art history, she turned to her friends for advice about Australian universities.

‘All of my friends in Singapore who had studied and lived in Tasmania offered really favourable feedback on both the University of Tasmania (UTAS) and Tasmania’, she says. ‘They assured me that Tasmania is a great place to study and a particularly inspiring place for those studying in the arts.’

‘Other friends from Singapore who had studied at UTAS told me that they still miss Tasmania years after their graduation – and that Tasmania will always have a special place in their hearts.’

After researching UTAS further on the internet, Janice was convinced that UTAS was the right place to commence this exciting new chapter of her life. ‘I discovered that UTAS is in the top 2% of universities globally, and is one of the best universities in Australia. I also found out that the staff-student ratio is excellent, and it’s academic and support staff are known to be attentive, thoughtful and warm-hearted’, says the Singaporean native.

Now in her final year of a Bachelor of Contemporary Arts, Janice has no regrets about her decision. ‘My research before I left and the feedback my friends gave me about UTAS has turned out to be absolutely true’, she says with a smile. ‘My experience here has been nothing short of magical.’

Used to the hustle and bustle of living in Singapore, Janice has found living on-campus in Launceston a pleasant change. ‘Tasmania is relaxed, yet happening! I love how it’s always jam-packed with new surprises. Tasmania possesses the conveniences and perks of a city as well as the privilege of being in the midst of beautiful World Heritage sites.’

Janice is never short of campus activities to immerse herself in. ‘The international student communities at UTAS are vibrant and proactive in organising a range of activities for the student community. The university experience is cosmopolitan and multicultural’, she says.

‘There are lots of activities and short trips organised by UTAS throughout the semester – multicultural nights, movie nights, free barbeques, cooking classes, sports competitions and trips to Cradle Mountain, Ben Lomond, Port Arthur and loads of other amazing places.’

While moving to a new city can be daunting, friendly locals soon made her feel at home. ‘I made a lot of genuine friends within a few months and people are incredibly caring and kind in Tasmania. I also appreciate how the staff in UTAS are professional but warm-hearted and treat you like family.’

The intimate class sizes and supportive environment in the Contemporary Arts course allowed Janice to build her confidence as a new student. ‘When I first came, I felt a bit self-conscious because I have a different accent but my lecturers were really encouraging and it was a very nurturing environment. I love how the academic and support staff at UTAS are incredibly supportive, encouraging and helpful’, she says.

‘The communications skills that I developed in my Art History and Theory major have helped me to express my opinions coherently and confidently. The Faculty staff offer so much attention and personalised academic advice to all the students.’

Janice has enjoyed her time at UTAS so much that she has taken on two casual jobs at the University helping other students while she studies. She has taken on the role of UTAS Student Ambassador to personally engage with future students and share how much she is enjoying her UTAS experience.

Janice also works as an International Peer Leader, connecting international students with support services and social activities to help them settle seamlessly into UTAS. ‘These two positions are really meaningful as they allow me to give back to the community by helping current international students, and future domestic students who need advice’, she says.

As she sums up her UTAS experience, it’s hard for Janice to pick a single favourite thing about her time here. ‘There are many things that captivate me in Tasmania. If I had to list my favourites they would have to be: the work-life balance; the friendly and close-knit community; having so much to do in such close proximity; the fresh air and clean water; stunning purple-pink sunsets; and the heritage buildings.’

Janice recently graduated in semester one 2016 with a high distinction average, and is excited to enrol in a masters degree to come one step closer to her dream of becoming a museum curator.

Explore your creative side in a stunning location with a Bachelor of Contemporary Arts at the University of Tasmania.