Arriving in Canberra in 2002 to start his pre-tertiary studies, Yue Song had no idea how his life would change with the decision two years later to move to Tasmania to pursue a Bachelor of Engineering at the University of Tasmania (UTAS).

But over a decade later, with a UTAS degree under his belt, the Chinese native has built both a career and family in Tasmania, and can now proudly call himself an Australian citizen.

Drawn to the UTAS Bachelor of Engineering in 2004 for its choice of nine specialisations including mechanical and civil engineering which he was particularly interested in, Yue appreciated the flexibility of the course. ‘UTAS offered me the chance to major in either civil or mechanical engineering. The flexibility of the degree meant that I could experience both, and then choose which I preferred in my second year.’

Yue chose mechanical engineering as a major, but switched to civil engineering when he started his graduate position and hasn’t looked back since – he’s successfully enjoyed six years working at the Department of State Growth Transport division of the Tasmanian Government.

The UTAS Bachelor of Engineering is fully accredited by Engineers Australia (EA) and is recognised internationally through the Washington Accord. As a result, Yue has been able to work in Australia while he has also seen his other UTAS engineering classmates achieve success overseas. ‘Most of my classmates are all over the world right now. My best friends are not in Tasmania; a few work in Germany and some in the United States, two of them even became professors!’, he says.

The skills Yue learnt during his Bachelor of Engineering equipped him to transition into work as a real engineer. ‘The degree provided me with good skills in logical thinking, and the professors gave us a lot of feedback, which helped me to prepare for work as an engineer’, he says. ‘They went beyond teaching us about the technology, and also focussed on the ethics of being a good engineer.’

The UTAS Bachelor of Engineering offers significant practical experience in the work place, and Yue says the three-month work experience component of the course was critical to developing the skills necessary to become an effective engineer. After graduating, he was accepted into a graduate position with the Tasmanian Government, which allowed him to rotate through different types of engineering. ‘It was a great opportunity. I got to work with different people and use different skills – then I ended up in a fixed position’, says Yue.

UTAS is launching a new Master of Professional Engineering (Specialisation), which Yue says could really help those wishing to further specialise in civil or mechanical engineering. ‘If I did this course, it may help me to get a better job within the government, or a more senior position, which often requires postgraduate degrees’, he says. At this stage, Civil and Structural is the first specialisation to be offered this year.

The course is aimed at engineering and science graduates and focuses on equipping them with the managerial and professional skills to succeed as engineers in the workplace. Importantly, graduates from the course will also receive admission as a graduate member at the professional engineering (Washington Accord) Stage 1 Level – allowing their Australian degrees to be recognised in Australia and internationally.

Yue is well and truly settled in Tasmania, becoming an Australian citizen in 2012. ‘My parents are happy and proud of me for becoming an Australian citizen, I am a part of the community now’, he says.

When asked what his favourite part of his job is, Yue says that he gets to drive around Tasmania and see all of its best locations. ‘As a civil engineer, I get to see Tasmania from a totally different point of view. I can actually get underneath the Tasman Bridge!’, he laughs.

Yue is clearly passionate about his work. ‘I’m helping local people to be safer on the roads. When I was studying, my lecturer said, “In five or ten years you might sit down and think about the how much you’ve changed the world”. I realise now how proud I can be as an engineer because I’m changing the world, even if it’s just a small part.’

Other than building his career in Tasmania, Yue also met and married his wife Jo Jo here, who was also studying at UTAS at the time. They celebrated with ceremonies in a church nearby the University of Tasmania, and also in China. The pair are now settled in Tasmania with their newborn daughter, Dorothy.

When asked about what the future holds, Yue is so happy with the way things are that he says, ‘I want everything to stay the same!’.

To have a successful career in Engineering just like Yue Song, enquire now about our Bachelor of Engineering (Honours).