“The Department of Maritime and Logistics Management at AMC has very high standards. Staff go to great lengths to ensure that candidates thoroughly understand what they are being taught. They have been great. If I have any problems I contact them and they are always there to help.”

Ajay Sharma, India

Masters of Business Administration (Maritime and Logistics Management)

The shipping industry is quite an exciting field to work in. You get to see new places, your job is very challenging, there is no such thing as routine, and you have to learn to be versatile and think quickly.

I worked on ships for a more than twelve years – on oil tankers and chemical tankers and as a chief officer – but the time had come for me to find a position on shore.

Shipping is all that I have known since I left school. I decided that the best way to make the transition to an onshore career was to get further education in a field like maritime logistics, where I could still capitalise on my strengths.

I was looking for suitable courses on the Internet when I came across the Australian Maritime College at the University of Tasmania. I have always wanted to move to Australia, and the MBA course at AMC was exactly what I needed, so it was the perfect combination. I was at sea when I made my decision, so I applied online and uploaded my documents from there – the process was easy.

I didn’t know anything about Tasmania before I came here, but I have since discovered that it is a great place to study. Launceston reminds me of my home in India. Dehradun is quite a small city and located in a nice valley surrounded by hills. The people here are very nice, which has made my wife and I feel better about our new life.

The Department of Maritime and Logistics Management at AMC has very high standards. Staff go to great lengths to ensure that candidates thoroughly understand what they are being taught. They have been great. If I have any problems I contact them and they are always there to help.

Many of my friends in the shipping industry are already enquiring about how to make the transition to AMC. All it took was one person to make the leap – now they are ready to follow.

My advice to other international students would be to come with an open mind, have fun and study hard.

Find out more about the Master of Business Administration (Maritime and Logistics Management)

January 2014