My name is Grace Nguyen and my  family own a small business in Vietnam. From a very young age my parents recognised that I was very interested in numbers; so they encouraged me to pursue a business related course.

I chose to study a Bachelor of Business majoring in Accounting and Finance in Tasmania because of the beautiful natural environment and the opportunity to improve my English language skills.  When I first arrived it was the first time I had been to a western country and I did experience some culture shock, but the people were very warm and friendly and the helped me to get over it.  Between academic staff and the international student support on campus I had all the help I needed for a positive start up my university career.

It wasn’t long before I realised that this really is the perfect place for me because every day I interact and study with local people and in just a short amount of time my English skills have improved dramatically.  The School of Accounting and Corporate Governance is regarded as a well-managed school, with a strong academic reputation and I am happy to continue my business degree here, majoring in accounting and finance.

Studying at the University of Tasmania will help me excel in the future because the course content is very practical and related to real world experiences and the teaching staff make sure that we develop the necessary attributes that will help us achieve our goals in the real world.

The University of Tasmania is also the perfect environment to get to know your fellow classmates, not only in your faculty but in other faculties through the variety of extracurricular activities available on campus. Everyone at the university is working hard to improve themselves but they are also interested in and very ready to help others.

In my spare time I work casually in a local business, volunteer with the student ambassador program and I am the treasurer of two not for profit societies – the Business Society on campus and a non-government organisation that helps young people off-campus.  There are also a lot of networking opportunities around campus to get to know the student community very well.

Hobart has a beautiful, clean environment with a relaxed lifestyle and you aren’t rushing from one place to another.  It is the perfect place to study.

Interested in business? Perhaps you have a head for figures. Then take a look at a Bachelor of Business at the University of Tasmania!