University of Tasmania nursing graduates are proving that you can do more than just one thing with your University of Tasmania nursing degree.

Haonan (Jennifer) Kang from China is currently working as a support worker at a nursing home in Perth, Tasmania, providing support for people with varying levels of physical and intellectual disability including: spinal injury, Acquired Brain Injury, aneurysm and stroke. She says the world class facilities and hands-on units that make up part of the Bachelor of Nursing are what gave her the confidence and skills to work in such a job.

‘I currently work for Eskleigh Nursing Home at Perth in Tasmania as a support worker for a disabled patient in a home environment,’ she says.

‘My studies at the University of Tasmania definitely helped to prepare me for my career.  Every semester there was at least one placement in a real working environment. The Acute Practice unit in the third year of my degree was one of my favourite subjects. It gave me hands-on experience in real settings with real patients and families, and also required me to deal with a variety of health professionals,’ Jennifer explains.

Jennifer recommends the University of Tasmania degree not just because of its versatility, but because of the friendly study environment and great quality of student life in Tasmania.

‘Tasmania is a marvellous place to live and study. The cost of living is reasonable and there are plenty of things to do and see – local vineyards, natural landscapes, friendly people and amazing weekend markets. I’ve loved living here and making new friends. No matter how long you choose to stay here, Tasmania will provide you with memories that will last forever.’

Favour David-Onu, another UTAS student currently undertaking the Bachelor of Nursing, says she hopes to work with indigenous communities and is excited that the practical base of the University of Tasmania nursing degree provides her this opportunity.

‘I chose nursing because I would like to care for people in need of medical care and support. When I graduate I would like to work in the community. I particularly have great compassion towards our indigenous community and if I get the opportunity I would like to reach out and work with them,’ she says.

Do you care about people and have an interest in medical science? Apply now to start a Bachelor of Nursing in 2017.

Already have an offer? Accept it today and get ready to start your journey at the University of Tasmania.