Abun chose to study at the University of Tasmania after a lot of her friends back home in Nepal recommended it. She loved the idea of studying in a climate similar to Nepal and had heard stories of how friendly Tasmanians are. After a researching a lot of Australian universities, she finally chose to apply for a Masters of Applied Science (Agricultural Science) at the University of Tasmania (UTAS).

Abun already had a Bachelor Degree in Agricultural Science which she’d studied in Nepal, and had been working for three years as a food security officer for a non-government organisation. But Abun noticed that there were a lot of agricultural problems affecting farmers in Nepal, and it was her dream to come up with innovative solutions to help these farmers.

‘I found my existing studies weren’t sufficient to help the farmers and I needed an international degree to be able to bring new ideas and innovations to assist my country. That’s why I came here to the University of Tasmania,’ she says.

‘One of the best things about the Masters Degree in Applied Science (Agricultural Science) is that more than 50 percent of the degree provides hands on, practical experience. Farmers in Nepal, particularly those in the remote areas are ignorant of simple plant diseases. For this reason, I have focused on researching transferable innovations that will enable them to diagnose and prevent common diseases they encounter,’ Abun explains.

Abun’s study focusses on something a little unusual – cherry blossom rot. However, the knowledge she’s building in her major is transferable to the grape industry which is a significant part of the agricultural industry in Nepal, and she will apply those principles to help provide knowledge and solutions to farmers back home.

When Abun’s not studying, she’s enjoying the relaxed campus atmosphere at UTAS. ‘I spend a lot of my time in the lab here, but in my free time I also love chilling out doing work at the Learning Hub in the Plant Science Building, chatting with friends, studying, using the internet and having a bite to eat,’ she says.

In her spare time she also likes checking out the vibrant Hobart nightlife, including it’s fantastic restaurant scene.

‘When I’m not at uni I spend time with my family going out to restaurants – there are a lot of good Indian restaurants here. There are lots of things to do in Hobart. I love dancing and there are a lot of dance studios here for me to check out.’ says Abun.

Even though it’s far away from her native country, Abun feels well and truly at home studying in Hobart.

‘I love living in Hobart as this beautiful city is on the waterfront. There are no oceans or beaches back in Nepal either so I really love walking along the waterfront. It’s such a special thing to have on your doorstep,’ she says of her favourite thing to do.

Are you inspired by Abun’s story? Agriculture has moved into the 21st century and it needs creative thinkers to take up roles as viticulturalists, biosecurity managers, boutique brewery owners, rural journalists, food biologists, and agronomists. Apply now for our Master of Applied Science (Agricultural Science). Already have an offer? Accept it now and join us in 2017!