Wilson Chan graduated with a Bachelor of Biotechnology at the University of Tasmania and went on to complete the Master of Pharmaceutical Science. He explains why he chose the University of Tasmania to undertake his studies.

“I chose to study at the University of Tasmania because it provided the courses that I wanted and it was ranked in the top 2% of universities worldwide. The university has a great reputation and I have found that they cater for world-class research.

I was introduced to the University of Tasmania by my local education agency in Malaysia after finishing my A level studies.”

Wilson has gained a vast amount of knowledge from the Master of Pharmaceutical Science, designed to equip graduate students with the skills needed for career opportunities, or further study.

“My current job involves discovery of lead compounds against malaria, and it requires relevant knowledge and extensive laboratory skills, including cell culture and high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). By joining in the Master of Pharmaceutical Science program, I was not only exposed to fundamental pharmaceutical knowledge, I also had the opportunity to develop various laboratory techniques by participating in a research project.

Completing the Master of Pharmaceutical Science was definitely a learning curve for me. There were ups and downs throughout the whole process, but the highlight of this course would have to be the positive challenges that I faced. I was very lucky to work in the School of Pharmacy and to get the opportunity to work alongside amazing supervisors. The research offered in the program has also opened a plethora of opportunities and would certainly be a highlight.”

Wilson says he also enjoys Tasmania as a place to live.

“Tasmania is a very peaceful and quite place to live, which offers a suitable environment for students to concentrate on their studies. The people, especially locals, are very warm hearted and are easy to get along with. Tasmania also offers amazing views and beautiful weather so do not miss out!

“I would recommend the University of Tasmania for those who have their minds set on tertiary studies. The lecturers here possess real-world experience and are extremely capable of delivering top-notch lectures and hands-on practical work. The university also offers a range of scholarships which can really help international students.”

For more information about the Master of Pharmaceutical Science, click here.