Bachelor of Business student Scott Mason is about to embark on a career in accounting and thanks to the University of Tasmania’s Career Mentor Program, he is enjoying the help of a well-qualified guide.

It seems to be working. With two units still to complete, Scott has already lined up an accounting job in Tasmanian town, Devonport.

“I was approaching the end of my degree and I was looking for a pathway into a career in accounting,” he said.

“The Mentor Program was recommended to me at a career counselling session and I was matched with Naomi Walsh. She has helped me understand the career opportunities and encouraged me at every step.”

Naomi Walsh is the corporate services manager and financial controller at Venarchie Contracting.

Scott told his story at an event at the University’s Newnham campus held to celebrate the Career Mentor Program’s fourth year. Functions have also been held in Burnie and will soon be held in Sandy Bay in Hobart.

The program matches current students with alumni based on shared interests, degree background and industry. It continues to grow: 20 students started in the program back in 2011 and now 126 are participating this year. Local and international students from bachelor all the way up to PhD levels are involved in the program with all faculties represented.

“I gained a lot from this program and I’d encourage others to take part,” Scott said.

“Naomi was such a good match for me. We met numerous times over the year and she talked about how she got to where she is and offered advice.

“She looked over my resume and helped put together my job application, even prepare for my interview.”

The program is funded through the Student Services and Amenities Fee. There are 182 mentors registered, representing 30 professional fields.

Read more about the Bachelor of Business.