Suyu Xu from Shanghai, China was determined to study both the Bachelor of Business Administration and Bachelor of Business (Maritime and Logistics Management) at the University of Tasmania.

What Suyu lacked in experience of living alone in a foreign country, she made up for with the courage and determination to pursue her goal.

“I was nervous about studying overseas,” said Suyu, “but it has simply been the best experience and I’m a stronger, more independent person now that I have learned how to cook and successfully manage my life and my study on my own.”

“I think it is really easy for international students to get used to the lifestyle here. From managing your time to learning to understand and respect the local culture – the University provides a lot of opportunities for students to get involved.”

Tasmania is also an excellent place to immerse yourself in the broader community with plenty of off campus events to enjoy in your spare time.

“The Salamanca Market is on in Hobart every Saturday and I really enjoyed the annual Taste of Tasmania and Tasmanian Beerfest in the summertime which is really interesting,” enthused Suyu.

“Our International Student Advisor also invited everyone to a celebration at the University as part of Harmony Day which is celebrated throughout Tasmania. This was a really special, thought-provoking event and a great celebration of cultural diversity!”

As a student who chose to enrol in a double major, Suyu has obtained some useful study skills through her study at the University of Tasmania.

“I want to be involved in international business and logistics management when I graduate so the various teaching methods our lecturers used in classes such as study group, has really allowed me to communicate and learn from local students as well as other international students.”

The University of Tasmania is located in a peaceful, scenic state that’s big enough for thriving opportunities but small enough to be friendly, and offer a high quality lifestyle. We know our students need to stay connected so the University of Tasmania has launched into Chinese Weibo and Wechat to make it easier for students like Suyu to learn about the latest news and events and find out what is happening around campus and in the community.

“Regular emails from our International Student Advisor provide another good way for me to keep up-to-date because they always share the latest events and study programs with us, which I find really useful.”

The University also has a dedicated international student blog, WeChat,  FacebookLinkedIn and Twitter accounts the Explorer which keeps students engaged with the University, with Tasmania and with fellow students.

One of Suyu’s most enduring memories is the vast difference between Shanghai and Tasmania.

“Shanghai is more like a busy metropolis which can often be distracting but here in Tasmania I find it easy to concentrate on my studies whilst enjoying everything a capital city has to offer.”

“There are times when I miss my family, but my lecturers and friends here always make me feel like Tasmania is my second home.”

For how to apply to study at a world class top 2% university, click here