For Vietnamese native, Trung Pham, studying a Bachelor of Biomedical Science (now the Bachelor of Laboratory Medicine ) at the University of Tasmania (UTAS) moves him one step closer to his dream of pursuing a medical career in Australia.

After studying medicine in Vietnam for four and a half years, Trung decided to pursue a UTAS degree so that he could undertake medical research in an area he’s passionate about.

‘I chose to study a Bachelor of Biomedical Science at UTAS because it’s accredited by the Australian Institute of Medical Scientists (AIMS) – which means it’s recognised at the highest professional level in Australia and opens up my career opportunities’, he says.

It’s his second year of studying and living at the Launceston Campus in Tasmania’s north – a spacious, fifty-hectare campus that overlooks the beautiful Tamar River and features state-of-the-art facilities for students.

‘The facilities and equipment are great, the lecturers are really friendly and the course content is very relevant – the quality of education that I’m receiving is much higher compared to back home’, he says. ‘I’ve developed a lot of practical skills that I’ll be able to bring to my career, especially technical skills as the course is so practical.’

Trung loves the balance between studying in a relaxed urban environment, combined with a dynamic and professional university experience. ‘The research and study opportunities are broad and exciting, and I love studying in such a relaxed city’, he says.

Relocating to a new country to study can be a daunting experience, but Trung says the friendly staff and students at UTAS made him feel at home. ‘UTAS has an exceptional level of student support, I feel comfortable asking for help with anything – whether it’s a personal or academic issue, or even if you want some advice on lifestyle.’

As a way of staying in touch with his roots, Trung is also very involved in the local Vietnamese community, which has regular social meet-ups. As a representative of the Vietnamese society he reaches out to new Vietnamese students to help them settle into life and study at the Launceston Campus, and also helps organise social gatherings via a Facebook page.

Trung’s also enjoyed immersing himself in student life – regularly playing social volleyball and badminton with his new friends, and working part time in the accommodation services as a tutor for biomedical science units. ‘I really enjoy my job, I love meeting new people and helping them achieve better university results’, he says.

Excited to immerse himself in his overseas study experience, Trung has enjoyed touring many iconic Tasmanian tourism spots – citing skiing at Ben Lomond in the state’s north as one of his favourite experiences. ‘I went to Ben Lomond with some university friends and it was the first time I’d seen snow! My friends and I had so much fun skiing!’

He’s also ventured to renowned Wineglass Bay, the Bridestowe Estate Lavender Farm and the Table Cape Tulip Farm, to name a few spots. ‘I love Tasmania’s environment, It’s got the freshest air in the world!’, he says.

When asked about what impressed him most about UTAS, Trung says he can’t get past the great learning resources.

‘The library is fantastic, we have access to such a broad range of books and resources and we’re allowed to borrow them all for study at home – this isn’t common in Vietnam and it’s really helpful for study’, he says. ‘I’m also really impressed by all of the learning spaces on campus and the great facilities. Another reason I chose UTAS was the affordable tuition fee, which was great value when compared to it’s high academic rankings.’

Trung is already excited about the places his UTAS degree can take him. ‘I’d like to work for a while in Australia to gain experience, but after that I’d like to study my honours and masters at UTAS – hopefully in the fields of microbiology and immunology. After that, I’ll also consider going on to a PHD!’, he says.

Has Trung’s story inspired you to study with us? Apply now to start in 2017!

Do you already have an offer to study? Accept it today and get ready to start your journey at the University of Tasmania.