Using Autonomous Observations and Numerical Models to Understand the Antarctic Atmosphere

A. Prof John Cassano
CIRES / ATOC
University of Colorado

Date/Time: Friday 30th March, 15:30 – 16:30
Venue: IMAS Sandy Bay seminar room

Abstract:
Compared to the mid-latitudes, atmospheric observations in the Antarctic are quite limited. This lack of observations hinders our ability to understand the Antarctic atmosphere. Autonomous observing systems are one way to help fill this data void and provide essential information on the state of the Antarctic atmosphere. Gaps in both space and time in the observing network will never be completely filled and as such other data sources, such as numerical models, can help fill this gap. In this presentation we will discuss how a combination of automatic weather station (AWS) and unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) observations when combined with output from an operational numerical weather prediction model, the Antarctic Mesoscale Prediction System (AMPS), can be used to understand the dynamics of high wind events over the Ross Ice Shelf and the coupling of atmosphere, ocean, and sea ice processes in the Terra Nova Bay polynya.

Bio:
I am currently a Fellow of the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) and an associate professor in the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences at the University of Colorado. I earned a bachelor of science in Earth Science from Montana State University, a Master of Science in Atmospheric and Oceanic Science at the University of Wisconsin, and a Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science at the University of Wyoming. After completing my Ph.D. I worked as a post-doc with David Bromwich at the Byrd Polar Research Center at Ohio State University before moving to the University of Colorado as a research scientist in 2001. I became an assistant professor at the University of Colorado in 2004. I use autonomous observing systems (automatic weather stations and unmanned aerial vehicles) and regional climate and numerical weather prediction models to study the meteorology and climate of both the Arctic and Antarctic. In February I completed my 9th trip to Antarctica and will be returning for my 10th trip in August.

This entry was posted in Seminars. Bookmark the permalink.