5 minutes with… Geoff Rickards, Operations Manager NSW Campuses

What is your favourite film and book? Geoff Rickards and partner

I don’t do nearly as much reading as I should, but a book and its message which has stuck with me is Colin Powell’s autobiography: A Soldier’s Way. Colin Powell is an American statesman and retired US four-star General who served as Secretary of State under George W. Bush during a tumultuous time in world politics. His insights, and forthright descriptions of such world-shaping events is truly eye-opening. As for films, I can’t go past the British “classics” like Snatch, and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

What makes you laugh?

I am a big fan of Dad jokes, despite not having kids. I appreciate a dry, sarcastic sense of humour.

Tell us one thing on your ‘must do’ list for the future.

I have a goal to follow Le Tour de France around and complete every stage on my bicycle around the same time as the professionals are doing it. The daily exercise (read: punishment) will make up for the delicious pastries and wine I will consume throughout my journey.

What do you consider to be the best part about living in Sydney?

Without a doubt having unrivalled access to brilliant beaches and coastal walks on my doorstep, with the spectacular Blue Mountains also only a one-hour drive away. Sydney is so diverse in its natural beauty, with the harbour a centrepiece of that. Then you add in the different cultures of entertainment, food, and drink, and you can’t go wrong.

What do you like most about your work?

Most of all I enjoy the ability to interact with a variety of people in the University and having the opportunity to positively impact staff and students, on a daily basis. Prior to taking this role with University of Tasmania, I served 12 years in the Army as a Tank Commander, and immediately this job has challenged me to think about solving problems a different way. In addition, each day is unlike the one before it, which keeps me on my toes.

Tell us one thing that might surprise people about you.

Those who have met me may be shocked to know this – but at first, I am quite shy when meeting new people.

Comments

This post doesn't have any comments